Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Reflection Week #3 LTC 8740

New Literacies: Transmediation
"...because students are bombarded by multimedia, we teachers of English language arts need to find methods and analytical frameworks that help students make sense of and critique the codes and coded messages of our times." - Semali & Fuevo

As I think about this challenge to help students think about the sign systems that they are a part of reading, decoding and creating in our times, I feel like I must first open my eyes to this system and realize how I read it as well. I think about some of the students I observed last semester at Hickman HS and I remember several of the boys in the class that reminded me a lot of myself when I was their age. early every assignment that came their way was completed with some reference to professional athletes, logos or shoes. Many of the boys particularly liked to draw "Air Jordan" basketball shoes manufactured by NIKE and sold to us by Michael Jordan. Maybe not Michael Jordan himself, but at least his symbol that represents his status and achievements. I remember being in high school and completing assignments in much the same way. I loved sports and so I wanted to asscociate myself every chance I got with popular athletes, success and style. One way that I could do that was by copying these already successful athletes or products in my artwork. When I think back to those pieces I created, they seem so silly to me now when I consider the things that I was communicating through my art. They had little value, however, that is what I was excited about. I see many high school boys going through the same thought processes.

"Students bring what they have learned in their communities into the classroom. As more students gain access to Internet communications and the media technologies of the 21st century, they are thrilled to see themselves as knowledge-makers who find and frame problems worth pursuing, negotiate interpretations, forge new connections, and represent meanings in transmedial ways. Teachers are therefore challenged to consider other methods of teachings and leading students in the understanding of sign systems ushered into the classroom by these multimedia technologies." - Semali & Fuevo

While reading this article, I realize the opportunity to help students connect those symbols and products that they are in to with challenges that will produce perhaps a more valuable result. Helping students realize why they are attracted to certain symbols or products will set a foundation for an assignment where they are to create their own ad campaign, logo system, or shoe design. Through a challenge like this, not only would students be engaged because you will be addressing their interests directly, but they will gain insight as to why they are constantly looking for symbols and status as well as giving them a chance to be creative about something that is current, relative and interesting to them as teenagers.

Man of Steel - Richard Serra
"The art is about the basic stuff of sculpture, isolated and recast: mass, weight, volume, material. What matters in the end are your own reactions while moving through the sculptures, at a given moment, the works being Rorschachs of intermediate meaning. " - Kimmelman
From what I have heard of Serra's work, I would absolutely love to go and see this exhibit. I have never seen any of his pieces in person, but it seems like that is the only way to observe his work. The description that was given by the Holocaust novelist was wonderful. To be taken to a place that reminded him of something so powerful ad personal solely by the curves, weight and size of the objects is amazing. "The art scared him he said, but he also loved it." (Kimmelman) I think that most of Serra's work is met with initial shock or controversy, but as people begin to get used to it, they realize the weight of the raw reality behind it. As people begin to accept these realities in their own lives, the respect the message and power of the work created by Serra. I remember reading about Serra's piece "Tilted Arc" and how I believe it was installed outside of a some sort of Federal building. Initially people were appalled by its location being placed directly outside of the front doors of the building. Extremely inconvenient for people to walk around to enter and exit the building. The piece was also somewhat of an eyesore. This was Serra's intention seeking to address the fact that there are huge problems and inconveniences that the government was overlooking even though they were right in front of everyone. Today "Tilted Arc" has very important role in art history and is a career defining work for Serra.

Teaching Visual Culture: Freedman
"Much of what we teach are remnants of knowledge. Through the process of teaching, sense is made of these many, often decontextualized and sometimes conflicting, bits of information. There fore, it is important to teach as much as possible in ways that help to rebuild contexts of the past by connecting these bits in relevant and meaningful ways. In order to do this, contexts must be connected to student learning outside, as well as inside, of school." - Freedman ch. 3

I find it interesting from Freedman's writing here that the importance on the Art History subject matter that is taught in a classroom is lessened, and the skill and way in which it is presented by the educator is the main ingredient. Sense most of what we have to give the students is made up of fragments, it is our responsibility to frame it along with other knowledge to give it it's importance and meaning. After all, students will not be excited about a piece of art unless we are. Also, helping students to have experiences outside of the classroom seem to be very important for all of this contextualized learning to come together. (ping* Eisner p.49-50)

No comments:

Post a Comment