Thursday, December 1, 2011

Visual Metaphor for ART ED.


When I think of the idea of being an art teacher I am reminded of a quote that I read one time by William Butler Yeats. He said that "Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire." I think that this is very true in the sense that as educators, if we simply show students how to do something or help them do it for the purpose of just helping them make something nice, then we are doing a disservice.We have the opportunity to inspire them to go on to a lifetime of creating and developing new ideas in all areas of life. If we can light a fire within them of confidence and motivation, they will be well served for the rest of their lives. I think that if we want to truly help our students we will have a larger perspective for their lives than just seeing how they operate within the confines of the your class. The old saying goes "If you give a man fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime. " So it goes with inspiring creativity within our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment